P2 Sustainable use of common resources
2.1. Natural and cultural resources developed into sustainable tourist attractions
01.09.2015 - 31.08.2018
ENDED. The main objective of the SmartZoos project is to integrate the zoos of the CB region to form a joint tourist attraction through developing, implementing and joint marketing of a cross-border service package of creative adventure learning with mobile devices (SmartZoo service package).
The project activities include the service package being designed, developed, piloted among 100 visitors of the zoos and jointly marketed by the partner zoos in Estonia, Sweden and Finland. The service package will include interactive location-based assignments, possibilities for challenging other visitors of the zoos and organising adventure games, challenges and tournaments.
The new service package attracts more visitors to the region and therefore fosters growth in economic activity and enhances development of other business activities of the region. The target values are set at 6000 more visitors in the participating zoos during the project and 50 000 more three years after the project.
Partner budget: 236.193 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 195.780 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 77.970 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 66.274 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 119.479 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 89.609 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 50.163 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 37.622 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 143.876 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 107.907 EUR ERDF
Rīgas Zooloģiskais Dārzs
Through it the visitors can participate in creative and collaborative knowledge building and get gamified zoo adventures:
1) they can participate in at least 4 types of location-based interactive assignments: quizzes, crossword and memory puzzles, augmented reality assignments and video/photo story telling assignments;
2) they can create their own assignments and challenge other visitors in the same or in another zoo (e.g. the visitor of Skansen Zoo can challenge visitor of Helsinki Zoo);
3) they can use online environment for composing and conducting location-based GPS adventure games, challenges and tournaments that utilise all these different types of interactive assignments;
4) their achievements will be awarded (using Mozilla Open Badges Framework).
During the project the service package will be designed, developed, piloted among 100 visitors of the zoos and jointly marketed by 3 zoos (in EST, SWE and FI). During the project the increase of the visitors can be ~6000 visitors. 3 years after the project ends it can be already 50 000 visitors, because the SZ service package gives the visitors reason to revisit the zoos more often.
The projects main result clearly contributes to achieving the Programmes overall result indicator no. 2.1 because:
1) the zoos are important parties of preserving the natural heritage of the Central Baltic region ;
2) the project is focused on developing and implementing a joint tourist attraction ( the SmartZoos service package) which can be cross-used in different zoos of the region;
3) the service package is sustainable because it will stay in use in all 3 partner zoos after the project ends and work will be done in order to introduce it also to other zoos of the region (open source strategy used)