P2 Sustainable use of common resources
2.1. Natural and cultural resources developed into sustainable tourist attractions
01.09.2015 - 31.08.2018
The main objective of the SmartZoos project is to integrate the zoos of the CB region to form a joint tourist attraction through developing, implementing and joint marketing of a cross-border service package of creative adventure learning with mobile devices (SmartZoo service package).
The project activities include the service package being designed, developed, piloted among 100 visitors of the zoos and jointly marketed by the partner zoos in Estonia, Sweden and Finland. The service package will include interactive location-based assignments, possibilities for challenging other visitors of the zoos and organising adventure games, challenges and tournaments.
The new service package attracts more visitors to the region and therefore fosters growth in economic activity and enhances development of other business activities of the region. The target values are set at 6000 more visitors in the participating zoos during the project and 50 000 more three years after the project.
Partner budget: 236.193 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 195.780 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 77.970 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 66.274 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 119.479 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 89.609 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 50.163 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 37.622 EUR ERDF
Partner budget: 143.876 EUR
Amount of ERDF funding: 107.907 EUR ERDF
Rīgas Zooloģiskais Dārzs
SmartZoos created a game-based service to attract more people to visit zoos
The project worked out the game-based service package to attract more people to visit participating zoos (Skansen, Helsinki Zoo, Tallinn Zoo).
The project was led by Tallinn University, Educational Technologies department and included the largest zoos from Estonia, Finland and Sweden. The Riga Zoo participated as associated partner.
The project targeted the increase in visits to the zoos and by the end of the project data was available that more than 700 users had used the service package application. In addition, the Smart Zoos service package received positive feedback from many educators and teachers.
The Smart Zoos service package included following functions:
- 4 types of location-based interactive assignments: quizzes, crossword and memory puzzles, augmented reality assignments and video/photo story telling assignments.
- own assignments and challenge other visitors in the same or in another zoo (e.g., the visitor of Skansen Zoo can challenge visitor of Helsinki Zoo).
- online environment for composing and conducting location-based GPS adventure games, challenges and tournaments that utilise all these different types of interactive assignments.
- awarding the achievements (using Mozilla Open Badges Framework).
- addition to service package the project implemented Investments to the zoos wifi networks.
- Location-based interactive assignments
- More than 700 users
- Investments to the zoos wifi networks
Article in Magazine of Tallinn university
A news bit in TLU weekly newsletter
Other media visibility
Tallinna Loomaaias saab nutiseadmega läbida interaktiivseid õpperadu või külastada Veskimetsa püsinäitust
Tallinna Loomaaias avati interaktiivsed õpperajad ning loodust tutvustav püsinäitus
Muutunud õpikäsitus 5: Kuidas õpetaja aega kokku hoida?
Article in The 10th European Conference on Games Based Learning ECGBL 2016